NYO influences our young people to improve academic performance, strengthen overall health and well-being, and instills important values, including leadership and respect—values that make strong communities and build tomorrow’s leaders.
A 2015 survey emphasizing NYO’s impact was completed by 411 NYO athletes in grades 7-12. Here’s what we learned:
- 75% credited NYO as an incentive to stay in school
- 74% improved or maintained good grades in order to continue participation in NYO Games
- 69% indicated improved self-confidence
- 47% indicated improved leadership and self-esteem
- 37% reported improved overall health
- 37% indicated a greater sense of well-being
- 87% see themselves as role-models for future NYO athletes
- 90% learned about Alaska Native culture and values
- 92% developed new friendships with other athletes, coaches and teachers
- 14% stopped using tobacco products
- 6% stopped using alcohol
- 7% stopped using illegal substances
- 146 athletes indicating they practice at least 7–10 hours per week
Thank you, to all our NYO partners and donors … your investment builds tomorrow’s leaders!