NYO influences our young people to improve academic performance, strengthen overall health and well-being, and instills important values, including leadership and respect—values that make strong communities and build tomorrow’s leaders.
A 2016 survey emphasizing NYO’s impact was completed by 397 NYO athletes in grades 7-12. Here’s what we learned:
- 77% credited NYO as an incentive to stay in school
- 74% improved or maintained good grades in order to continue participation in NYO Games
- 66% indicated improved self-confidence
- 47% indicated improved leadership and self-esteem
- 75% reported a greater sense of work ethic
- 88% see themselves as role-models for future NYO athletes
- 92% learned about Alaska Native culture and values
- 92% developed new friendships with other athletes, coaches and teachers
- 10% stopped using tobacco products
- 5% stopped using alcohol
- 6% stopped using illegal substances
- 137 athletes indicating they practice at least 7–10 hours per week
Thank you, to all our NYO partners and donors … your investment builds tomorrow’s leaders!