NYO Games Alaska is a year-round program that has a quantifiable positive impact on more than 2,000 youth each year.
NYO influences our young people to improve academic performance, strengthen overall health and well-being, and instills important values, including leadership and respect—values that make strong communities and build tomorrow’s leaders.
A survey emphasizing NYO’s impact was completed by 418 NYO athletes in grades 7-12 who competed in the 2012 Games. Here’s what we learned:
- 67% credited NYO as an incentive to stay in school
- 66% improved or kept up their grades in order to continue participation in NYO Games
- 67% indicated improved self-confidence 40% indicated improved leadership and self-esteem
- 35% reported improved overall health
- 30% indicated a greater sense of well-being
- 77% see themselves as role-models for future NYO athletes
- 88% learned about Alaska Native culture and values
- 94% developed new friendships with other athletes, coaches and teachers
- 10% stopped using tobacco products; 5% stopped using alcohol; and 4% stopped using illegal substances
- 150 athletes indicated they practice a minimum of 7-10 hours per week
Thank you, to all our NYO partners and donors … your investment builds tomorrow’s leaders!