Employment & Training Services »


Tribal TANF

Q: Who can apply for TANF?
A: Any Alaskan Native or American Indian family residing in the Municipality of Anchorage can apply. They must have children or grandchildren under the age of 18 residing in the home with them.

Q: What do I need to bring in order to apply?
A: Financial documents, such as bank statements, check stubs and dividend statements; identification documents, such as Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB/CIB) or tribal verification; photo ID for adults; social security number for all members; and children’s birth certificates (grandparents applying for TANF will need to bring proof of relationship to the grandchild).

Q: How long will it take before I receive my benefits?
A: It typically takes about 10 days after eligibility is determined and all required documents submitted for benefits to begin.

Q: How much cash assistance will I receive?
A: Eligibility and cash benefits will be based upon a review of income and household composition.

Child Care Services

Q: Why are my child care provider’s rates higher than the state’s?
A: While the State of Alaska establishes which rates that can be subsidized through the Child Care Assistance program, child care providers may set their fees at any rate they choose because they are privately owned businesses.

Q: How do I find a child care provider?
A: Contact thread Alaska. Be sure to mention the CITC referral.

Q: Can my family member or friend get paid for watching my children?
A: Only providers who have been licensed by the Municipality of Anchorage or approved by the State of Alaska Child Care program office can be paid from the Child Care Assistance program. In-home providers may be approved directly through the CITC Child Care Assistance office and should talk with a staff member about how to become approved for in-home care.

Q: What is the difference between an approved provider and an in-home provider?
A: Approved providers watch children in their own home, while an in-home provider watches children in the child’s home. Parents wanting to use an in-home provider must have at least three children in need of care to meet State of Alaska minimum wage requirements.

Q: What work activities are required to qualify for assistance?
A: Participants must be working or be enrolled in a college/university, or an approved vocational/training course for a minimum of 20 hours per week. In some cases, child care may be offered for protective services to individuals in counseling or treatment activities.

Q: How do I apply for services and know my application has been approved?
A: Applications may be obtained by contacting the Child Care Assistance program and submitted in-person, by mail, fax or electronically via email to: childcare@citci.org. Once the application has been reviewed and eligibility determined, child care authorization is issued to the participant and child care provider.

Q: When will I receive my child care authorization?
A: It typically takes 10 business days to process completed applications when all required supporting documents are submitted. If all requirements are met, eligibility begins the day an application for services is received. Parents are financially responsible for payment to child care providers until a child care authorization is issued.

Q: What is co-pay?
A: All families are required to contribute toward the cost of their monthly child care expenses. Co-pays are based on income and family size on a sliding fee scale. Subsidies range from 25–98 percent of state rates.

Q: I have a child with special needs. Are there any additional services or resources for my child?
A: Children with special needs may qualify for a Special Needs Supplemental Payment to the child care provider to ensure inclusion. Parents with children who have special needs should speak with a child care staff member about the application process for these additional services.

Q: My provider charges a monthly enrollment fee, so why am I paying more than my co-pay when I take time off from work?
A: The Child Care Assistance program only pays for child care that is used while parents are in an approved work activity. In two-parent households, both parents must be in an approved work activity for child care expenses to be covered. When parents take time off from work, full-time monthly enrollment child care authorizations become attendance-based, and payment is authorized only for the days parents are in their approved work activity. If providers charge a monthly enrollment rate, the difference between the attendance rate and monthly enrollment rate is the parent’s responsibility.

Q; Why hasn’t my child care provider been paid within 30 days of submitting their monthly billing report?
A: Timesheets and/or paystubs, or attendance reports for the calendar month must be submitted by the 15th day of the following month to verify work activity hours before a child care provider can be paid.

Q: How long can I leave my child in the Nahtsahda Child Care Center?
A:  Participants may have children in the Nahtsahda Child Care Center for up to three hours, depending upon availability.

Q: How old does my child have to qualify for Nahtsahda Child Care Center?
A:  The Nahtsahda Child Care Center offers care for children ages 1–7. 

General Assistance

Q: Can I apply for General Assistance when I am receiving cash assistance from other public assistance programs?
A:  No. General Assistance is a primary resource. If participants are currently receiving cash assistance from SSI, TANF, ATAP, student grants, General Relief or other similar programs, they do not qualify for General Assistance.

Q: Can I be working and still apply for General Assistance?
A: Yes. All income received will calculated in the General Assistance worksheet. In most cases, if participants have been working, their income will negate the General Assistance.  Before participants apply, they should inquire with Employment Training & Services at 793-3300 to determine if applying will be worth the effort.

Q: I am serving a penalty on the TANF program. Can I still apply for General Assistance?
A:  No. However, participants may apply for their children. Participants will be given a reduced General Assistance amount until the penalty is completed and in compliance with their Family Self-sufficiency Plan. Failure to work toward compliance will terminate children’s General Assistance case as well.

Q: How long will it be before I get my General Assistance benefits?
A: After all required documents have been submitted, the General Assistance case manager has up to 45 days to notify a participant of their approval or denial status. In most cases, it takes less than a week.

Q: How will I receive my benefits?
A: General Assistance benefits are vendor pay only. When participants complete a budget worksheet and provide a list of expenses, General Assistance will issue a check or purchase order directly to the vendor or service provider. A check may be issued directly to participants to cover miscellaneous expenses such as laundry, etc.

Supported Work Services

Q: What type of services does Supported Work Services offer?
A: Work Services offers clothing vouchers, bus passes and assistance with obtaining other requirements for employment, such as training and specialty tools, when not provided by the employer.

Q: Who is eligible for Work Services?
A: Any Alaska Native or American Indian residing in the Municipality of Anchorage that is currently seeking employment, or has obtained employment with in the last 90 days, and meets eligibility requirements.

Q: How many bus passes can I receive?
A:  Participants are eligible for up to three bus passes and one clothing voucher per fiscal year if they meet and maintain program requirements. Some restrictions may apply.

Q: What documents do I need in order to apply for Supported Work services?
A: Participants will need their Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB/CIB), recent bank statements and all income statements or pay stubs. For a clothing voucher, a letter of hire from their employer on company letter head stating the date of hire, position and the amount of compensation and wages is required.

Youth Services

Q: How do I enroll in AYS?
A:  Participants should complete an intake with CITC’s Alaska’s People program to be referred to AYS if they meet eligibility.

Q: If I live in one of the selected locations, how do I join RYS?
A:  Participants should contact their local tribal office, or Employment and Training Services at 793-3300 for additional information.

Q: How do I enroll in PHAT training?
A: Please contact Employment and Training Services at 793-3300 for enrollment information.

Q: How long is PHAT training?
A: Training can be offered within one week, but it depends on the class size and location. Durations may vary.

Q: Who is eligible for PEAKS training?
A: Youth 14–21 years of age who are enrolled with CITC.

Q: How do I enroll in classes?
A: Participants must notify your CITC case manager directly.

Q: What is the location of PEAKS Training?
A: All classes are at CITC’s Nat’uh Service Center.


Q: Am I eligible for P2C2?
A: As long as participants have proof of Indian Blood, their family is welcome to attend.

Q: What services are provided in P2C2?
A: Game nights at CITC and tutoring in select ASD schools are currently offered. We hope to be able to offer home visits in the near future.

Q: How do I sign up?
A: Please contact Employment and Training Services at 793-3300 for enrollment information.

Q: When are P2C2 events?
A: The P2C2 events are currently offered in the Welcome Center at CITC’s Nat’uh Service Center. Please contact Employment and Training Services at 793-3300 for dates and start times, as the schedule changes weekly.


Q: When can I apply for heating assistance?
A: Heating assistance applications are accepted Oct. 1–April 30 of each year. Applicants who are elderly and/or disabled may submit applications beginning Sept. 1.

Q: What documents will I need to submit?
A: Each application must include a photo identification card, tribal enrollment or Certificate of Degree Indian Blood, income verification, lease agreement (if renting) and social security numbers for each person of the household.

Q: When do I receive heating assistance?
A:  Approved applications will be paid each year beginning Nov. 1. Completed applications are processed within 45 days in the order received. Elderly, disabled and households with children of ages five and under are given priority.

Q: How much assistance will I receive?
A: The amount of assistance is based on household size, the type of housing, kind of heat and household income. Assistance is paid once per year.

Q: Can I receive heating assistance from CITC and the State of Alaska?
A: No. Participants can only receive heating assistance from a single program.

Intensive Case Management

Q: I am going to be homeless. What help can you provide?
A:  Depending upon the reason, the Intensive Case Manager will assist in connecting participants to resources that may prevent homelessness, or referrals to temporary local shelters to get them off the streets immediately.

Q: Can you help me apply for disability?
A:  Yes. The Intensive Case Manager will walk participants through applying for Supplemental Security Income and become the liaison to the Social Security Administration office. Case managers will represent participants if a case is denied and the participant chooses to appeal.

Q: We just moved here from the village. What do we need to do?
A:  The Intensive Case Manager can help connect participants to housing, employment services and other vital services. Contact Employment and Training Services at 793-3300 to schedule an appointment.

Alaska’s People Career Development Center

Q: Who is eligible for services?
A: Alaska Natives and American Indians who are members of a federally recognized tribe or ANCSA. Participants who qualify must provide a copy of their Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB/CIB) or tribal enrollment documentation at the time of intake and assessment.

Q: What is required to complete a successful intake/assessment?
A: All participants must complete the intake application and provide copies of the following:  current resume, CDIB/CIB and/or tribal documentation, Social Security card and any form of government-issued photo ID.

Q: What training opportunities are available?
A: Training opportunities are off-site, other than the monthly program training opportunities for Employment Training & Services participants. Participants also have the opportunity to apply for tribal scholarships for short or long-term vocational or higher education training opportunities.

GED Diploma

Q: Who is eligible for the GED program?
A:  Any Alaska Native or American Indian individual residing in the Municipality of Anchorage.

Q: Is there help available to pay for the GED program?
A: Yes. Participants may apply for assistance when they complete the intake process.

Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation

Q: Who is eligible for TVR Services?
A: Alaska Natives or American Indian individuals who are members of a federally recognized tribe, or ANCSA shareholders who experience a disability that keeps them from getting or keeping a job. Services are provided to participants who want to go to work.   

Q: What is considered a disability?
A: Any documented physical or mental impairment that makes it hard for participants to get or keep a job.

Q: How long does it take to be determined eligible?
A: Counselors must obtain documentation about a participant’s disability to determine if they are eligible for the program. The process can take up to 60 days. If the counselor needs more time to collect information, they will place participants in waiting status until those records have been obtained

Q: What happens when I am eligible?
A: Participants and their Vocational Rehabilitation counselor will develop an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) that will outline the services needed in order to get a job and explain their own and their counselor’s responsibilities. Each IPE is written for the individual, so no two plans are the same.