Health Profession Opportunity Grants (HPOG)
Picture this: You, in a professional healthcare career! The healthcare field is one of the fastest growing career fields in Alaska, with healthcare-related jobs making up 22 out of the top 25 occupations in Alaska. Between 2016 and 2026, in fact, we can expect to see roughly 10,000 healthcare jobs added to our economy. Will one of those jobs be yours?
Even in Alaska’s smallest rural communities, where jobs can often be hard to find, healthcare offers year-round employment opportunities. Whether you hope to work at a hospital in Anchorage or in a clinic Kaktovik, be ready to take the first step toward your career in healthcare with CITC’s Health Profession Opportunity Grants (HPOG) program! We offer certifications in a variety of healthcare jobs, including: Phlebotomy Technician, Pharmacy Technician, Dental Assistant, Medical Office Assistant, and more.
The HPOG program involves five phases: Eligibility Screening; Application Submission, Intake, Academic Advising/Support and Employment Navigation Support.
- 18 years of age
- U.S. citizen or legal resident
- Alaska Native/American Indian preference
- Verified low income status
- Review of criminal history/background check
- Must reside in Anchorage, Eagle River, or the Mat-Su Valley
Additional Program Requirements:
- High School Diploma/GED/Transcripts – GED program assistance is available
- State and Federal background check clearance (including Office of Child Services)
The HPOG program provides training and education in the following areas:
- Pathway 1:
- Counselor Technician
- Chemical Dependency Counselor I
- Pathway 2:
- Personal Care Assistant (PCA)
- Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)
- Registered Nurse AAS
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Coder & Biller
- First Aid/ CPR/AED (automated external defibrillator)/BLS (basic life support) – obtained through the HPOG PATH Academy
How to Apply
Contact 793-3322 or email HPOG@citci.org to register for the next HPOG Orientation. HPOG is now offering orientations twice a week: Tuesdays at 11:00 AM or Thursdays at 2:00 PM.
Follow HPOG on social media:
HPOG’s national Facebook page
CITC’s HPOG Facebook page
HPOG on Twitter
This webpage is supported by Grant #90FY0009 from the Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of HHS.