NYO influences our young people to improve academic performance, strengthen overall health and well-being, and instills important values, including leadership and respect—values that make strong communities and build tomorrow’s leaders.
A 2021 survey emphasizing NYO’s impact was completed by 43 NYO athletes in grades 7-12. Here’s what we learned:
- 63% credited NYO as an incentive to stay in school
- 79% expressed increased determination by participating in NYO
- 58% expressed a greater sense of well-being
- 85% see themselves as a role-model for future NYO athletes
- 93% learned about Alaska Native culture and values
- 91% developed new friendships with other athletes, coaches, and teachers
- 65% indicated they practice 4–6 hours per week
Thank you, to all our NYO partners and donors. Your investment builds tomorrow’s leaders!