NYO influences our young people to improve academic performance, strengthen overall health and well-being, and instills important values, including leadership and respect—values that make strong communities and build tomorrow’s leaders.
A 2019 survey emphasizing NYO’s impact was completed by 434 NYO athletes in grades 7-12. Here’s what we learned:
- 81% credited NYO as an incentive to stay in school
- 74% improved or maintained good grades in order to continue participation in NYO Games
- 42% indicated indicated a better understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
- 85% see themselves as role-models for future NYO athletes
- 93% learned about Alaska Native culture and values
- 91% developed new friendships with other athletes
- 206 athletes stopped or reduced the use of tobacco, drugs, or alcohol
- 65% indicated they practice at least 6 or more hours per week
Thank you, to all our NYO partners and donors. Your investment builds tomorrow’s leaders!