Youth Services offers support programs for eligible Alaska youth ages 14–21 to assist them in finding employment, furthering education and identifying youth leadership opportunities. Services include:
- adult mentoring
- opportunities to obtain high school credit
- assistance with post-secondary education
- GED completion
- employability and life-skills training
- work readiness training and career assessment
- resume and cover letter writing; interviewing skills coaching
- work experience (paid or unpaid)
- referrals to additional programs serving youth
Through four unqiue programs, Youth Services helps young people advance their job skills, get educational funding and develop into young leaders:
- Anchorage Youth Services (AYS): AYS provides case management for youth ages 14–21 and assists youth with educational needs, including high school completion, GED attainment ,and scholarship and/or related referrals. The program also provides employment skills training, including resume building, interviewing skills, career and training exploration, supported work experience and job placement.
- Promoting Health Among Teens (PHAT): PHAT provides comprehensive, peer-led curriculum regarding abstinence, responsible sex practices, pregnancy prevention, and awareness and prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Providing Essential And Knowledgeable Skills (PEAK): Training is designed as a fun, interactive, life-skills mentoring to assist youth in developing the skills necessary to function successfully as adults. The program explores some of the important challenges youth face and ways of dealing with them, and helps youth establish the values, goals and principles they will need to guide them on their path to adulthood.
- Rural Youth Services (RYS): RYS offers services similar to AYS for the following Cook Inlet villages: Tyonek, Ninilchik, Knik, Chickaloon, Eklutna, Seldovia and Salamatof. RYS coordinates summer employment opportunities with each of the participating tribes.
Please call 793-3300 for eligibility details.