The Schoolyard is an afterschool program connecting 12 to 19-year-old Alaska Native and American Indian youth in the Anchorage area to skill-building opportunities in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) complemented by Alaska Native cultural knowledge.
Students learn through workshops and group projects, video-game design, community field trips, and educational summer and school-break camps.
Schoolyard experience includes activities such as:
- high school test preparation and test-taking
- youth leadership training
- video-game development
- academic counseling and tutoring
- Alaska Native dance
- job-skills preparation and training
- healthy relationships workshops
- Alaska Native crafts such as kuspuks,
- felt vests and masks
- community field trips exploring Alaska
Native culture and STEM-related careers
- learning responsible social networking
These opportunities are offered at no cost to Alaska Native and American Indian youth ages 12–19. For information about how to join the Schoolyard, please contact (907) 793-3265.